Getting To Know Ports Community Relations Manager Bailey West
Bailey joined the Ports in September of 2012. Ms. West brings a wealth of knowledge to the organization as she has spent time working with the Los Angeles Dodgers, Oakland A’s, Oakland Raiders and the Marketing Department at UCLA.
- Born/Raised: Concord, CA
- Family: Mom (Kathie), Dad (Dan), and brother (Logan, 19)
- College & Major: UCLA, double-major in Communication Studies and Political Science
- Hobbies: Teaching preschool at church, spending time with friends and family, knitting, and exploring
- Favorite Food: Sushi, chicken and waffles, and cold pizza
- Last movie you saw or book you read: I just finished the Fifty Shades of Grey series. Don’t judge me.
- Finish this sentence- If I was not in professional sports I would be a…. preschool teacher.
- Hidden talent: I have a really good memory, which translates into being able to remember the lyrics to every song.
- If you were a Seinfeld character, which one would you be? Why? Elaine because I am a ridiculous dancer.
- What would I find in your refrigerator right now? Half of it is really healthy like fruits and vegetables, Greek yogurt, etc. The other half is for when I pretend I’m a broke college student (ramen, corn dogs, chicken nuggets, etc.).
- If you could trade places with any other person for a week, famous or not, living or dead, real or fictional who would it be? Audrey Hepburn. She was the best of both worlds: very glamorous but also extremely philanthropic.
- What is your favorite movie quote? “You know what’s wrong with you, Miss Whoever-you-are? You’re chicken, you’ve got no guts. You’re afraid to stick out your chin and say, “Okay, life’s a fact, people do fall in love, people do belong to each other, because that’s the only chance anybody’s got for real happiness.” You call yourself a free spirit, a “wild thing,” and you’re terrified somebody’s gonna stick you in a cage. Well baby, you’re already in that cage. You built it yourself. And it’s not bounded in the west by Tulip, Texas, or in the east by Somali-land. It’s wherever you go. Because no matter where you run, you just end up running into yourself.” (Breakfast at Tiffany’s)
- What makes you angry? Bad driving. And when people wear pajama pants in public.
- Who’s your favorite baseball player? Least favorite? My all-time favorite baseball player is Mark Mulder. Least favorite would have to be A-Rod.
- The rumor around the office is that you are the best cupcake maker in the ballpark, true or false? So true. You can’t go wrong with Funfetti. I am also the only person currently in the office who has made cupcakes, so I don’t know how much of a contest that is.
- Describe yourself in three words. Loyal, optimistic, maternal
- What do you remember about your first date? We saw a cheesy dance movie with Richard Gere and J. Lo, ate at a diner, and held hands. It was magical.
- What are things you enjoy doing when you are not working? Catching up with friends, spending time with my family, traveling/exploring/doing touristy things, teaching preschool, reading, and going to baseball games for fun when I can.
- What are three things in life that you can’t live without? People/relationships, baseball, and my faith
- If you could “un-invent” one thing, what would it be? Bumper stickers
- You and Splash spend a lot of time together visiting schools, hospitals and events around town, what is one thing people do not know about Splash? Splash has multiple personalities depending on the day. Sometimes he is really excited and an awesome dancer. Other times, not so much.
We thank Bailey for being a good sport and answering our goofy questions.